A GUIDE TO ARCHIVES AND MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
in the Special Collections Division
at
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries

Compiled by Shirley R. Rodnitzky
Edited by Gerald D. Saxon
2000

Arlington, Texas
The University of Texas at Arlington


Historical Photographs


Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W

Guide to the Collections     Historical Manuscripts Collection   Texas Labor Archives   

Texas Political History Collection     University Archives     Historical Photographs Collection
Unprocessed Collections    Guide Index


Allis, Sebastian D., b. ca. 1821
    Daguerreotype, 1847; 2 items
    Sebastian Allis was born in New Haven, Connecticut, worked as a newspaper clerk for the New Orleans Picayune, and served in the Mexican War as a sergeant in the U.S. Army with the Louisiana Brigade and later with Capt. Albert C. Blanchard's Phoenix Company, 1846-1847. Allis was appointed by Winfield Scott as postmaster of Veracruz, Mexico, in Spring 1847, and remained there until the end of the war in August 1848.
    Sixth-plate (2 3/4" x 3 1/4") daguerreotype portrait attributed to George Noessel, slight tinting on cheeks and necktie of portrait. Inscription in ink on red silk lining of case reads: "S. D. Allis, Vera Cruz, 1847." Includes a photocopied article written about Allis and Noessel by Thomas R. Kailbourn which appeared in The Daguerreian Annual, 1993. The article contains a good enlarged reproduction of the portrait. Letters by Kailbourn and others regarding his research for the article and photocopies of Allis' military records are in the Special Collections Division's manuscript holding files.
    Preservation note: Fragile, handle with care.
    Purchase, 1994.
    GA61
 
Arlington Citizen Journal
    Negative Collection, 1946-1990; 24 boxes (23.3 linear ft.)
    The Arlington Journal was established July 30, 1897. The Arlington Citizen was established October 4, 1934. The two newspapers merged in 1969, and formed Citizen Journal, Inc. to publish the Arlington Citizen Journal. Star-Telegram Operating Ltd, took over the publication, July 4, 1996, which is now known as the Arlington Star-Telegram.
    Negatives, black and white, sizes vary (35mm, 2" x 2", 4" x 4"). Includes thirty-four black and white and color prints. There are approximately 46,000 2" x 2" and 4" x 4" negatives and 324,000 frames of 35mm film. The negatives are arranged chronologically and include multiple shots of the same event. The film was produced by various unnamed reporters of the Arlington Citizen Journal.
    Gift, 1991, 1992.
    91-5, 92-47
 
Arlington Citizen Journal
    Negative Collection, 1984-1992, bulk 1984-1990
    6 boxes (6 linear ft.)
    The Arlington Journal was established July 30, 1897. The Arlington Citizen was established October 4, 1934. The two newspapers merged in 1969, and formed Citizen Journal, Inc. to publish the Arlington Citizen Journal. Star-Telegram Operating Ltd, took over the publication, July 4, 1996, which is now known as the Arlington Star-Telegram.
    35mm black and white and color negatives, and slides, approximately 18,000 images. The negatives depict people, events, and places in Arlington, Texas, 1984-1990. There is one envelope of slides, 1992. Some of the images were used to illustrate the issues. However, many of the photographs that are included in this collection did not appear in the newspaper. The images serve to document Arlington in the 1980s.
    Gift, 1997.
    Inventory available.
    98-22
 
Arlington Citizen Journal
    Photograph Collection, 1908-1970s; 94 photographs
    The Arlington Journal was established July 30, 1897. The Arlington Citizen was established October 4, 1934. The two newspapers merged in 1969, and formed Citizen Journal, Inc. to publish the Arlington Citizen Journal. Star-Telegram Operating Ltd, took over the publication, July 4, 1996, which is now known as the Arlington Star-Telegram.
    Black and white photographs, 8" x 10" and smaller. Includes one color print. The collection contains prints of buildings, events, landmarks, parks, people, and street scenes. A large number of prints are of the 1957 Junior Rose Bowl game, parade, players, and people attending the game played by Arlington State College and Cerritos College in Pasadena, California. Photographs were taken by various photographers. Many of the photographs are not identified or dated. A list describing the photographs was compiled by the donor and is included with the collection.
    Gift, 1996.
    96-10
 
Arlington, Texas
    Aerial Photographs, ca. 1940s-1950s; 3 photographs
    Arlington, in eastern Tarrant County between Fort Worth and Dallas, grew out of a settlement called Johnson's Station, established by Middleton Tate Johnson in 1842 or 1843 at Marrow Bone Spring, about three miles from the present site. Johnson Station was one of only three towns in the county before 1876. It was named Arlington and moved to its present site in 1876.
    Three aerial views which include one of Lake Arlington, ca. 1957; another of Lake Arlington with adjacent neighborhoods, ca. 1957; and one view of downtown Arlington, ca. 1940s.
    These photographs are part of the Texas Photograph Collection (AR323).
    Gift, 1994.
    96-26; OS176
 
Arnold, Dennis G.
    Photograph Collection, 1986-1996; 3 boxes (3 linear ft.)
    Dennis G. Arnold is a draftsman and amateur photographer who resides in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Prints (black and white and color), negatives, slides, and notebooks, approximately 3,000 images. Dennis Arnold’s photographs are an eclectic assortment of photographs depicting buildings, events, and people in the North Central Texas region from the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex south to Hillsboro. Included is a boundary map, a list of cities and towns where photographs were taken, and a list of slide descriptions.
    Purchase, 1998.
    Inventory available.
    98-26
 
Associated Press
    Photograph Collection, 1943-1946; 4 boxes (4 linear ft.)
    Photographs and clippings. These are Associated Press photographs and clippings about World War II.
    Gift, 1985.
    91-56
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Campbell, L. D. (David) and Adell
    Slide Collection, ca. 1968-1978; 1 box (.4 linear ft.)
    David Campbell was a design engineer with LTV during the 1950s and 1960s. He and his wife, Adell, were active in several Arlington, Texas, community service clubs and projects. David Campbell founded the Arlington Camera Club, and he was the official Fourth of July parade photographer, 1968-1971. In 1971, he was hired by Rockwell International and the couple moved to California. Adell Campbell has served on several boards and commissions founded to assist the mentally retarded and the elderly as well as local and national garden clubs. She taught continuing education classes on herbs at various colleges and universities, and is the author of The Edible Herbal Alphabet.
    Color slides, approximately 165 slides. The slides depict people, places, and events in Arlington, Austin, Dallas, Glen Rose, Salado, and Waxahachie in Texas, and cities where the Campbells have lived or vacationed. Locations include Los Angeles and San Francisco in California; New Orleans, Louisiana; Dover, Delaware; Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota; and various locations in Florida. The slides were taken by David Campbell.
    Gift, 1997.
    98-45
 
Clemons, Basil, 1887-1964
    Photograph collection, 1919-1948; 85 boxes (35 linear ft.)
    Commercial photographer, Breckenridge, Texas; born Basil Edwin Clemmons in Lauderdale County, Alabama. Clemons learned photography in California in the early 1900s; served in the army during World War I stationed in Alaska where he took some of the first aerial shots; operated a studio in Seattle, Washington; traveled with the Tom Mix Wild West Show; and followed the oil boom to Texas around 1919. Clemons stayed in Breckenridge where he continued to take photographs of the area for over thirty years.
    Silver gelatin prints (approx. 12,000); nitrate, safety, and paper negatives (approx. 5,900); artifacts; an article; and Clemmons family genealogy cards. Clemons’ prints document the development and decline of Breckenridge, Texas, during and after the oil boom of the 1920s. They are a valuable contribution to the social history of small town America and the boom town phenomena. Photographs of the oil fields and towns in and around Breckenridge and Stephens County, Texas, during the 1920s dominate the collection. Photographs of circuses, wild west shows, sporting events, and theaters are of special interest. Other places represented in the collection are Caddo, Eliasville, Ibex, Ivan, Parks, Ranger, and South Bend. A few photos are included of Fort Worth events, Jim Kearn, Lovely Valley, Possum Kingdom Lake, and Stinton. Also includes prints of West Texas oil fields by H. T. Bearden and the United Oil Photo & Press Service of Stephenville, Texas.
    Purchase, 1985.
    Finding aid available.
    AR317
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Dinkins, Frank A., ca. 1909-1960s
    Films, 1936-1937; 1 box (1 linear ft.)
    Frank A. Dinkins, born and raised in Fort Worth, was a musician. He was pianist, organist, and arranger for the Jack Amlung Orchestra. He also worked as organist for the 1936 Frontier Centennial and with Sally Rand.
    Twenty-four 8mm films, two VHS videotapes, and film descriptions. The films were taken by Frank Dinkins of Jack Amlung’s Orchestra members and activities, 1936-1937, primarily in and around Dallas-Fort Worth, but there are also scenes in other Texas towns and Oklahoma and Iowa as well. The Amlung Orchestra, the 1936 centennial celebrations in Dallas and Fort Worth, scenes in Austin, Bryson, Mineral Wells, Perrin, San Antonio, and Stamford are featured, although most of the filming was in Fort Worth and Mineral Wells. Frank Dinkins and family members also appear in the films. Jack Amlung’s Orchestra is shown playing in the Lobby of the Crazy Water Hotel in Mineral Wells. The Fort Worth Fat Stock Show and Rodeo Parade, the aftermath of a tornado in Perrin, the cowboy reunion rodeo in Stamford, missions in San Antonio, the Texas state capitol, and a golf tournament in Fort Worth demonstrate the diversity of subjects. A description of the content of the first fourteen films is provided. The films were copied onto videotape for preservation and ease of viewing. There is a master tape and a copy.
    Note: Please use the videotape copy for viewing the Dinkins films.
    Gift, 1998.
    2000-31

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Fielder Museum, Arlington, Texas
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1850-1987; 2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
    The Fielder Museum, a two-story building, located at the corner of Fielder Road and Abram Street, is a community landmark. Built in 1914, it was the home of James Park and Mattie (Barnes) Fielder, Sr. The Fielder home was one of the earliest brick homes built in Arlington. In 1977-1978 a group of Arlington citizens successfully campaigned for the preservation and restoration of the Fielder home. It was opened in April 1980, as the Fielder Museum. Its purpose is the collection, preservation, and interpretation of local and county historic materials. The Fielder Museum is currently operated by the Arlington Historical Society.
    Albumen, black and white, and color photographs; primarily reproductions of early prints. The collection is comprised of photographs of businesses, churches, early homes, families, scenes, and schools in the Arlington, Texas, area, but is not limited to the Arlington area. Prominent among the images are Arlington Downs; Lake Erie, in the Handley area; and the University of Texas at Arlington. These images were recorded by many photographers, among them Frank Reeves. They reflect the cultural and social life of the area from about 1850 to 1987. Included is a panoramic view of Cisco,          Texas.
    Fielder Museum Transfer, 1995-1997.
    GA225-GA226, OS223
 
Florence, Fred Farrel, 1891-1960
    Photographs of a Dinner Honoring Fred F. Florence, 1945; 1 album
    Fred Florence was a Dallas banker.
    Eighteen black and white, 8" x 10" photographs in an album. The front cover has a photograph of the house where the dinner took place, February 14, 1945. Individuals in the photographs are not identified.
    Restrictions: Binding tight, photocopy not allowed.
    Purchase, 1996.
    OS305
 
Fort Worth News-Tribune
    Collection, 1970-1989; 146 boxes, bound newspapers, artifacts (69 linear ft.)
    The Fort Worth News-Tribune was founded as the News-Tribune in Haltom City in 1969, as a neighborhood weekly newspaper. It was purchased from owners Mrs. Ione Whiteman and Wallace Sheppard in August 1970, by veteran journalists, Mack H. and Madeline C. Williams. The Williams' owned and published the newspaper until February 1986, when it was sold to Fort Worth Publishing, Inc., owned by veteran newswoman Linda Pavlik and businessman James Lattimore, Jr. A third investor, Kenneth Garrett, Jr., was not involved with the news operation. Pavlik and Lattimore served as publishers until March 1989, when the newspaper ceased publication. The News-Tribune was a conservative, staff-owned newspaper that reported the local news of Fort Worth and Tarrant County with special emphasis on politics, legal matters, social functions, and historical articles.
    Correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, negatives, newspapers, and artifacts. The bulk of the collection is the clippings, 1970-1989, about Fort Worth and Tarrant County residents, businesses, and city, county, and state government bodies. Photographs of people and subjects with some negatives are primarily of local residents, events, buildings, street scenes, and groups in and around Tarrant County. Prints of nationally prominent figures in the entertainment business and politics are also included. The photographs vary in size from wallet size portraits to black and white 8" x 10" prints, but there are some color prints. The four boxes of business correspondence files date from 1981-1989.
    A set of bound newspapers and individual issues represent a nearly complete set of the Fort Worth News-Tribune publication. Copies of the Downtown Trib, Downtown News-Tribune, the Monday News-Tribune, Fort Worth Today, and the Fort Worth Shoppers’ News all published in the 1980s by Fort Worth Publishing are also included in the collection.
    Permanent loan, 1989.
    Finding aid available.
    AR368
 
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    Collection, ca.1849-1990, bulk 1920s-1979; 583 boxes (818 linear ft.); 2,746,118 negatives
    The Fort Worth Star was founded in 1906 by a group of newsmen, including Col. Louis J. Wortham (as publisher), Amon G. Carter, Sr. (as advertising manager), D. C. McCaleb, and A. G. Dawson; they also had the help of wholesale grocer and major investor Col. Paul Waples. By 1908, the Star was in financial difficulty, and Carter and Wortham decided to buy out their rival, the Telegram, an evening newspaper that traced its history back to the Fort Worth Evening Mail and the Fort Worth Mail Telegram and other papers beginning around 1879. The new paper, known as the Star-Telegram, began publication in 1909, and was later identified in the 1920s by a phrase on its masthead, "Where the West Begins." Carter and the paper stressed local news and served eighty-four counties with some papers delivered in the Panhandle by stagecoach. The Star-Telegram had a pre-electronic distribution area of 350,000 square miles, and daily home delivery as far as 700 miles west of Fort Worth. Carter and the paper successfully resisted takeover attempts by William Randolph Hearst, who sold the Fort Worth Record to the Star-Telegram in 1925.
    Photographs, negatives, printed materials, and card files. The collection is composed of photographic images that were published in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram to support news stories and clippings from the newspaper’s issues. Included are over 380 early photographs and copies of early photographs, ca. 1849-1922, bulk 1870-1919; 179,500 black and white prints, 1861-1986; 2,745,000 film negatives, 1915-1990; 1,118 glass negatives, 1915-1935; printed materials which include newspaper clippings, a vertical file, architectural plans, a scrapbook, and a Fort Worth centennial issue, 1889-1986, bulk 1920s-1970s; an 18,800 card file index of World War II servicemen from Texas; and a 170,000 card file index of oil wells in Texas fields, 1944-1970s. Though the collection contains images and information on national and international events, it relates almost exclusively to Fort Worth, West Texas, and Texas persons and events of importance.
    Restrictions: Wire service photographs included in the collection will not be reproduced without written permission of the copyright holder.
    Gift, 1984-[on going]
    Finding aid available.
    AR406, Series 1-8
 
Fort Worth Star-Telegram Building
    Glass Negatives, ca. 1921-1923; 3 boxes (.58 linear ft.)
    The Fort Worth Star was founded in 1906 by a group of newsmen, including Col. Louis J. Wortham (as publisher), Amon G. Carter, Sr. (as advertising manager), D. C. McCaleb, and A. G. Dawson; they also had the help of wholesale grocer and major investor Col. Paul Waples. By 1908, the Star was in financial difficulty, and Carter and Wortham decided to buy out their rival, the Telegram, an evening newspaper that traced its history back to the Fort Worth Evening Mail and the Fort Worth Mail Telegram and other papers beginning around 1879. The new paper, known as the Star-Telegram, began publication in 1909, and was later identified in the 1920s by a phrase on its masthead, "Where the West Begins." Carter and the paper stressed local news and served eighty-four counties with some papers delivered in the Panhandle by stagecoach. The Star-Telegram had a pre-electronic distribution area of 350,000 square miles, and daily home delivery as far as 700 miles west of Fort Worth. Carter and the paper successfully resisted takeover attempts by William Randolph Hearst, who sold the Fort Worth Record to the Star-Telegram in 1925.
    Eight glass negatives and contact prints, 12" x 20". The photographs show interior rooms in the Star-Telegram building, including advertising work areas, the composing/typesetting room, newspaper roll storage area, and Amon G. Carter’s office, ca. 1921-1923. Also included is a copy print of "mule alley" at the Fort Worth Stockyards and the crowd outside First Methodist Church watching the baseball scoreboard on the Star-Telegram building. The photographer is unknown.
    Preservation note: The glass negatives are fragile and damaged. Please use prints only located in box 3.
    Amon Carter Museum transfer, 1999.
    Inventory available.
    2000-24
 
Fort Worth, Texas
    Photograph Collection, 1890-1980, bulk 1890-1930s; 4 boxes (1.33 linear ft.)
    Fort Worth, on the Clear Fork of the Trinity River in north central Texas, grew up around the U.S. military post established by Major Ripley A. Arnold in 1849, and was named for Gen. William Jenkins Worth, a soldier in the Mexican American War.
    Photographs and negatives. The collection consists of 236 photographs and nine negatives by various Fort Worth, Texas, photographers. There is one color print. The collection contains both original and copy prints in various sizes from 3" x 5" up to panoramic views. The photographs depict people, organizations, buildings, and events primarily at the turn of the century and the first third of the twentieth century. A sampling of the subjects include the stockyards, 1915-1930; football in Texas, primarily the Fort Worth University Goldbugs, 1890-1893; the Fort Worth Police Department, 1901-ca. 1930s; President Theodore Roosevelt’s visit to Fort Worth, 1905; Montgomery Ward store and employees, 1924-1980; early views and aerial views of Fort Worth, 1898-1950s, and undated; construction of the Tarrant County Courthouse and also a 1939 view; and various churches, 1899-1905, and undated.
    Amon Carter Museum transfer, 1999.
    Inventory available.
    2000-10-23
 
Fowler-Rowland-Steward Family
    Photographs, ca. 1880s-1918; 1 folder (12 items)
    The families were early settlers of Azle, Texas, which was named after Dr. James Azle Steward.
Photographs and biographical sketches. Photographs are black and white reproductions of original tintypes. Includes photographs of Meridith Fowler and his wife, Diana Cheatham; their daughters and husbands, Mary Elizabeth Fowler Steward and James Azle Steward; and Martha Cheatham Fowler Rowland and William Henry Rowland. Biographical sketches of the family members and son, Joseph Fowler, are also included. The items were collected by Bernice Evans.
    The collection is also known as: Bernice Evans Papers.
    Gift, 1988.
    AR29
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Garrett, Jenkins, 1914-
    Texas Postcard Collection, ca. 1903-1996; 24 boxes (24 linear ft.)
    Jenkins Garrett is a Fort Worth attorney, businessman, civic leader, and renowned collector of Texana who gave his book, manuscript, sheet music, and graphic collections to the University of Texas at Arlington in 1974. He has continued to donate his time, energy, and materials to the libraries over the years. His postcard collection was acquired over a sixty year period.
    View cards, 3.5" and 4" x 6"; black and white and color; approximately 13,438 postcards. The postcards feature Texas cities and towns, A-Z. The larger cities are subdivided into subjects, such as buildings, birds-eye views, parks, residences, schools, street scenes, and universities, etc. A miscellaneous section is included within most letter sections for cities with only one or two postcard views. Also included, in smaller quantities, are map cards, Alaska-Washington; unidentified cards of Texas towns and cities; non-classified cards of general Texas scenes with views of other states; interior views outside Texas; Mexican War topical cards; and postcards of Austin-Waco published by Tuck, ca. early 1900s.
    Gift, 1998.
    Inventory available.
    AR416
 
Graves, Jack W., Jr.
    Photographic Essay: "Key Sites of the Mexican War, 1846-1848, in South Texas, 1995"; 1 volume (56 leaves)
This volume was researched and compiled by Jack W. Graves, Jr., who also made all the photographs. It was a project for an independent study course in the history department at The University of Texas at Arlington under the supervision of Gerald D. Saxon.
    One volume containing text, aerial photographs, color maps, contact sheets, and negatives. The text describes the historical background of the battlefield sites and forts in South Texas during the Mexican War. The photographs depict these sites as they appeared in 1995. The contents include: Fort Polk at Port Isabel, Brazos Santiago Pass, the mouth of the Rio Grande, Palo Alto battlefield, Resaca de la Palma battlefield, and Fort Texas (Fort Brown). Maps compiled by the U.S. Geological Survey of the area and a Brownsville, Texas, aeronautical chart are included.
    Gift, 1995.
    GA230
 
Graves, Jack W., Jr.
    Photographic Essay: "Key Sites of the Mexican War, 1846-1848, in Northern Mexico, 1996"; 1 volume (52 leaves)
    This volume was researched and compiled by Jack W. Graves, Jr., who also made all the photographs. It was a project for an independent study course in the history department at the University of Texas at Arlington under the supervision of Gerald D. Saxon.
    One volume containing text, aerial photographs, color maps and charts, contact sheets, and negatives. The text describes the historical background of the battlefield sites in Northern Mexico during the Mexican War. The photographs depict these sites as they appeared in 1996. The contents include several views of two key sites: Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, and Buena Vista battlefield, Coahuila, Mexico. Topographical maps compiled by Instituto Nacional de Estadistica Geografia e Informatica of the sites in Nuevo Leon and Coahuila, an aeronautical chart, and a Monterrey city map, all keyed to the photographs are included.
    Gift, 1996.
    GA230
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Mayborn, Ted W., 1909-1996
    Texas County Courthouse Photograph Collection, ca. 1900-1970; (.58 linear ft.)
    Ted W. Mayborn was a Texas publisher, journalist, and writer of Texas and Southwest history. In 1939, Mayborn and Robert L. Humphrey founded Associated Publishers, Inc., which published Drilling magazine. Mayborn founded the Highlands Historical Press, Inc., in 1961, to publish reprints of rare Texana and facsimiles of Texas maps.
    Photographs, negatives, and postcards of 213 Texas county courthouses. Some of the images are of courthouses which no longer exist.
    Gift, 1989.
    AR361
 
Mexico, Spain, and Egypt
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1896-1900; 74 photographs
    Brown tone photographs, of varied dimensions, 9" x 12" and smaller. The images are scenes from Mexico, Spain, and Egypt possibly produced for commercial purposes. The Mexican images are of various cities and residents at work, such as people carrying merchandise to market and working an irrigation rig. The photograph taken in Spain is a view of Gibraltar from the Mediterranean Sea. The Egyptian photographs depict the Sphinx and other related desert scenes. The only photographers identified were Waite and A. Briquet.
    Gift, 1989.
    89-6
 
Morley, John L., & Company
    Photograph Collection, 1927; 1 folder (12 items)
    John L. Morley & Company was a real estate and loan business in Houston.
Black and white, aerial, and ground level photographs. The images are of locations in the Houston, Texas, area. Included are views of the Niels Esperson Building, Hughes Tool Company, Houston Ship Channel and Turning Basin, Rice Institute, Main Street, Lovett Boulevard, Museum of Fine Arts, and the Sam Houston Monument. The collection includes one aerial photograph of Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College in Waller County, Texas. Some of the photographs were produced by the Eidson Studio.
    Purchase, 1989.
    GA159
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Nineteenth Century Studio Photographs
    Collection, ca. 1880-1900; 15 folders (55 items)
    The Wilfert Goggins family of Fort Worth, Texas, discovered this collection of studio prints in the attic of their home.
Photographs, ca. 1880-1900. The collection includes a tintype, a few cartes de visite and early silver gelatin prints, but primarily are cabinet prints of primarily unidentified portraits of adults and children. Various studios in Texas and Kentucky are represented, but the collection includes a few portraits from Maryland, Missouri, and Pennsylvania.
The collection is also known as: Goggins Family Photographs.
    Gift, 1981.
    GA74
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Padgett-Eakin Family
    Ranger, Texas, Photograph Collection, ca. 1918-1946, bulk ca. 1918-1920s; 20 photographs (.25 linear ft.)
The Padgett and Eakin families lived in Ranger, Texas, during the oil boom years in West Texas. The collector of the photographs was O. M. Padgett, Sr.
    Five panoramic photographs, fifteen 5" x 7" and smaller photographs, and eight 4" x 5" negatives. The photographs were owned by O. M. Padgett, Sr. The panoramic views show various Chestnut and Smith plants in Ranger, Texas, and a train pulling oil or gas cars. The Chestnut and Smith Company appears to be in the oil business, possibly storage, refining, and shipping. The panoramic views were probably photographed by Walton Photographs. His car with an advertising sign appears in one of the views. The fifteen remaining photographs are of several members of the Eakin family, one photograph of O. M. Padgett, Sr. in the office of Continental Supply Co., and Ranger, Texas, oil field and Main Street scenes, 1920s to 1946. The photographs from the 1940s appear on commercial postcards. Negatives are included for seven of the photographs.
    Gift, 1995.
    Inventory available.
    OS336
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Santerre, Eloise
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1880s-1990; 1 folder (.08 linear ft.)
    Eloise Santerre was a descendant of settlers of La Réunion Colony near Dallas, Texas, 1855-1857.
Photographs and negatives. The collection consists of reproductions of fifty photographs collected by Eloise Santerre. The images are of the Frichot, Hausman, Michel, Moulard, Priot, Santerre, Thevenat, Rémond, and Voirin families. Also included are newspaper clippings which document the life of Professor Emil Rémond, a scientist and early Dallas brick manufacturer. Rémond married Césarine Santerre, daughter of François Santerre, a La Réunion Colony settler. Also included is a photocopy of a map prepared by Bruno Verlet of Paris, France, which shows selected La Réunion Colony home sites positioned on a 1990 Dallas, Texas, street map.
    Gift, 1990.
    GA9
 
Smith, W. D., Inc., Commercial Photography
    Negative Collection, 1879-1989, bulk 1941-1989; 137 boxes (137 linear ft.)
    W. D. Smith, Inc., Commercial Photography, Fort Worth, Texas, was the city’s leading commercial photography firm during the last half of the twentieth century. The Smiths operated a studio on West El Paso Street until the mid 1960s when they built the first studio in Tarrant County designed specifically for the photography business just off Vickery Street. The studio was the state-of-the-art in design for the time.
    W. D. Smith, a native of Alvord, Texas, began work as a professional photographer in Fort Worth in 1927. In the 1940s, his son, Gordon, joined him as a partner in the business. W. D. Smith, Inc., built a reputation as Fort Worth’s finest commercial photographer. He was especially well known for his architectural photography. A good portion of his commercial business was for construction progress photography. Gordon Smith, who worked closely with his father, combined his interest in flying and photography to enable the company to build a robust business in aerial photography.
Negatives, approximately 190,000, black and white and color. Negatives are 8" x 10" and smaller (4" x 5", 35mm, and 2" x 2"). The collection documents the growth and development of Fort Worth, Tarrant County, and the North Texas region. Aerial views of Fort Worth and Tarrant County comprise a sizable portion of the collection. Also included are four notebooks of photocopies of reproductions of late nineteenth and early twentieth century photographs of Fort Worth and aerials and photographs of various locations in North Texas, 1940s-1980s. Subjects include aerial views, airports, buildings (civic, commercial, and private), group photographs and individuals, parks, street scenes, the 1949 flood, and a variety of subjects photographed for commercial advertising purposes.
    Purchase and donation, 1998.
    Access to negatives is by a card catalog index. A box inventory to negative numbers is available.
    98-7
 
Southwestern Mechanical Company
    Photograph Album, ca. 1910-1918; 1 box (.25 linear ft.)
    Southwestern Mechancial Company was located in Fort Worth, Texas. The company specialized in structural iron and steel building and repair for heavy industry.
    Sixty-five 8" x 10" black and white photographs and one panoramic photograph. The images depict residences, civic, commercial and industrial structures, and locomotive tank cars in and around Fort Worth, Texas, which were constructed with materials supplied by Southwestern Mechanical Company or were built or repaired by the company. Additional Texas cities represented are Brownwood, Ennis, Lubbock, and Niles City. Most of the photographs are identified but not dated. Hinsdale & Bryant of Fort Worth was the primary photographer. In addition, there are photographs by Bryant Studio, E. D. Maxwell, Gildersleeve, and Greaves.
    Gift, 1998.
    Inventory available.
    98-37, OS337
 
Stewart, Kenneth
    Collection of Photographs of Fort Worth, Texas, and Railroad Locomotives, 1918-1960s (bulk 1930s); 25 photographs
    Kenneth Stewart is the collector and donor of the photographs.
    Black and white, 8" x 10" and 11" x 14" photographs and photocopy reproductions. Includes photographs of Egan High School, 1918; Fort Worth buildings and street scenes, 1920s-1930s; Arlington Heights Methodist Church, 1938; railroad locomotives (primarily Frisco), and Texas & Pacific Railway Company depots at Fort Worth and Marshall, Texas, ca. 1930s-1960s. Photographers are unknown and most photos are undated; two photos are by W. D. Smith.
    Gift, 1995.
    GA193
 
Stewart, Kenneth
    Collection of photographs of Fort Worth, Texas, and Railroad Locomotives, 1935-1964;
    11 photographs
    Kenneth Stewart is the collector and donor of the photographs.
    Ten black and white, 8" x 10" and one 9" x 14" photographs; one panorama photograph, 8" x 20.5". Three of the photos are aerial views which show various stages in the development of Seminary South Mall in Fort Worth; three show Industrial Ave. in Fort Worth in the 1950s; two depict the construction of the Texas Electric Company plant, 1950; two are photos of train locomotives, not dated; and the panorama depicts a Bible class in Waco, Texas, 1935.
    Gift, 1996.
    GA193
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


Texas
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1870-
    Prints, negatives, and lantern slides. The collection contains photographic materials in various print sizes depicting people, events, cities, animals, and scenes of Texas. In 1999 there were eighty-six items.
    Gift, 1974-[ongoing]
    Inventory available.
    AR323, OS175-OS177, Map Drawer 106 (scc, anx), GA61
 
Texas
    Postcard Collection, 1905-; 4 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
    Picture postcards. The photographs depict buildings, cities, events, landmarks, people, and scenes in Texas. Some postcards are included that depict images of other southwestern states, especially Arizona, California, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.
    Gift, 1986-[ongoing]
    AR311
 
Texas Rangers Reunion
    Photograph, ca. 1900;1 item
    In 1855 Governor Elisha Pease authorized the formation of a company of Texas Rangers under Capt. James Callahan to protect settlers from menacing Lipan Indians along the western frontier. The Rangers pursued the Indians into Mexico and ended up battling both the Indians and Mexican troops. The Rangers torched Piedras Negras to divert Mexican pursuit, but this action created a major international incident. Governor Pease was forced to disband the company.     However, Indian raids slackened considerably after the incident.
    One 3.5" x 5" color reproduction (browntone). Members at the reunion in San Antonio approximately fifty years later were: Maj. D. C. Burlison (Austin), Capt. D. A. T. Walton (Sabinal), Capt. H. S. Tom (Floresville), Capt. Bill Pitts (Austin), Capt. John Campbell (Campbellton), and Capt. John W. Sansom (San Antonio). Capt. James Callahan, the company’s leader, was murdered soon after arriving home from Mexico in 1855.
    Restrictions: Original at University of Texas at Austin, Center for American History. Request photographic reproductions and permission for use directly from them.
    Gift, 1997.
    GA10
 
Thurber, Texas
    Photograph Collection; 1 box (.4 linear ft.)
    Thurber, Texas, located in northwest Erath County, was the site of coal mining operations coupled with labor troubles from its beginning in 1886. Miners were employees of the Texas and Pacific Coal Company and members of the United Mine Workers of America, Local Union No. 2763. In 1903 all unskilled workers in Thurber were unionized, making it the only 100% unionized town in the nation. The mines ceased operation in 1921 after the discovery of oil. The town was virtually abandoned in 1933 when its sole industry, a brick making plant, ceased to operate.
Fifty-nine black and white photographs, original albumen prints, copy prints, and copy negatives. Photographs include town scenes, commercial establishments, homes, mines and miners, the brick plant, fires, Fourth of July parades, and town social groups.
    Gift, 1981.
    Finding aid available.
    AR88
 
Torti, Russell
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1890-1945; 3 boxes (1.25 linear ft.)
    The photographs were donated by Russell Torti of Fort Worth, Texas, but they came originally to him from William Smith of Arlington, Texas. It is not known whether the photographs have a link to the Smith family.
    Albumen and silver gelatin prints. The collection contains prints by several photographers located primarily in North Central Texas at the turn of the century up to 1945. There are portraits, family groups, school groups, and groups of friends. The prints are mounted on boards or postcards, are in folders, in a scrapbook, and an album. Less than half of the prints are identified. Some of the known locations are: Era, Rosston, and Myra in Cooke County; Sherman and Howe in Grayson County; Fort Worth in Tarrant County; Jamison in Liberty County; and Georgetown in Williamson County. Identified photographers were from Cooke, Denton, Dallas, Grayson, Tarrant, and Wise counties. There are some prints from other states.
    Gift, 1987.
    Finding aid available.
    AR313
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


University of Texas at Arlington
    Campus Scenes Collection, 1926-1976, bulk 1976; 61 slides
    The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA) traces its beginnings back to a private school, Arlington College at the site in 1895. The school experienced a number of administrative, management, and name changes through the years until 1965, when UTA became part of the University of Texas system.
    Black and white and color slides, 1926-1929, and 1976. These are photographs of students and campus scenes at North Texas Agricultural College and the University of Texas at Arlington. The later slides were taken by Lynn Bougher.
    Gift, 1976.
    Finding aid available.
    AR224
 
University of Texas at Arlington
    Photograph Collection, 1895-1979; 12 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
    The University of Texas at Arlington traces its beginnings back to a private school, Arlington College, at the site in 1895. The school went through various ownerships and name changes before becoming a part of the University of Texas system in 1967.
    Photographs, negatives, and slides in color and black and white. The images document the various stages of the institution’s development from Arlington College to the University of Texas at Arlington. Included are aerial views and panoramic prints in addition to standard size prints of buildings, campus events, students, faculty, and staff. Many prints are copies of photographs from the school’s yearbooks. The prints are organized into series by school name.
    Gift and transfer, 1974-1981.
    Finding aid available.
    AR324
 
University of Texas at Arlington. News Service
    Photograph Collection, 1960s-1990s; 20 boxes (8.4 linear ft.)
    The University of Texas at Arlington traces its beginnings back to a private school, Arlington College, at the site in 1895. The school went through various ownerships and name changes before becoming a part of the University of Texas system in 1967.
    Photographs and slides. Images of campus scenes, people, events, and buildings.
    Transfer, 1981, 1988, 1991.
    AR387
 

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page    Guide to the Collections    Guide Index


White, Jack, 1927-
    Photograph Collection, ca. 1860s-1994, bulk 1873-1980s; 31 boxes (11.2 linear ft.)
    Jack White, a long time resident of Fort Worth, Texas, is a professional photographer.
Texas Christian University graduate, he was the editor of the campus newspaper and art editor of the annual. He was vice president of Witherspoon and Associates, an advertising and public relations firm in Fort Worth, for twenty-seven years, specializing in design, type management, and photography. After retiring from Witherspoon and Associates in 1982, he formed his own company, Jack White Graphic Arts, specializing in design, photography,
typesetting, and other graphics.
    Photographs, negatives, slides, an audio recording, an artifact, and printed material. The Jack White Photograph Collection contains approximately 3,000 black and white and color prints and more than 4,000 slides of Fort Worth and Tarrant County images used to create advertising and promotional materials for Witherspoon and Associates and for White’s personal use. Images, both historic and contemporary, reflect the growth and development of Fort Worth from its early days as an outpost on the prairie to its emergence as a twentieth century business and financial center. Most of the collection focuses on the late twentieth century. The collection is comprised of photographs of early Fort Worth acquired or reproduced by White and those more recent images taken by White during photography assignments for clients. A collection of geological survey site photographs and negatives in New Mexico and West Texas and a collection of early twentieth century photographs from the Shirley Harris Daniel family of Enid, Oklahoma are included. Also included are city tourist and commercial booklets and brochures, maps, newspapers, and a historical Fort Worth slide presentation created by White.
    Gift, 1994.
    Finding aid available.
    AR407, OS355-OS359
 
White, Jack, 1927-
    Slide Collection, ca. 1960s-1981; 5 boxes (5 linear ft.)
    Jack White, a long time resident of Fort Worth, Texas, is a professional photographer. A Texas Christian University graduate, he was the editor of the campus newspaper and art editor of the annual. He was vice president of Witherspoon and Associates, an advertising and public relations firm in Fort Worth, for twenty-seven years, specializing in design, type management, and photography. After retiring from Witherspoon and Associates in 1982, he formed his own company, Jack White Graphic Arts, specializing in design, photography, and typesetting.
    Slides, black and white and color, approximately 16,900 slides, plus one cassette tape. The slides were produced by Jack White for various clients during his years at Witherspoon and Associates and for his personal use. They are sorted and organized by client or project. Very few of the boxes are identified on the container.
    Gift, 1994.
    94-64
 
Wood, Bill Photo Co.
    Photograph Collection, 1937-1969, bulk 1946-1969; 20 boxes (8.3 linear ft.)
    Will S. Wood, Sr., and Bill Wood, Jr., were commercial photographers who owned and operated the Bill Wood Photo Co. in Fort Worth, Texas, until 1973. The company was established in 1930 as Wood Photo Service.
Silver gelatin prints (6,406) and safety negatives (70). A wide range of subjects depicting people, organizations, and business and industrial firms in and near Fort Worth, Texas, produced by the Bill Wood Photo Co. Most of the collection consists of 8" x 10" black and white prints, but there are also several color prints.
    This collection is also known as: William S. Wood, Jr., Photograph Collection.
    Gift, 1988.
    Finding aid available.
    AR320
 
Wright, Bill, 1933
    Photographs of the Kickapoo and Tigua Indians; 1 box (12 photographs), 1996
    Bill Wright is an Abilene, Texas, author and photographer. His works include People of the Sun: The Tiguas of Ysleta (a video), The Tiguas: Pueblo Indians of Texas, The Texas Kickapoo: Keepers of Tradition, and Portraits from the Desert: Bill Wright’s Big Bend.
    Twelve black and white, 11" x 14" photographs in 16" x 20" acid-free mats. The photographs by Bill Wright were made for his works about the Tigua and Kickapoo Indian tribes. The Texas/Mexico band of the Kickapoo has dual citizenship in both the United States and Mexico. The photographs show the people, activities, and homes of the tribe in Kickapoo Village, Eagle Pass, Texas, and in Nacimiento, in the state of Coahuila, Mexico. The Tigua Indians are shown in various locations in the El Paso, Texas, area. Tribal members, activities, and the Tigua Cultural Center are pictured. Text with names and descriptions of the photographs accompanies the collection. These photographs are copies of the originals, copyright in 1994 and 1995, and were made by Wright for an exhibition on Amerindians at the UTA Central Library in 1996.
    Note: Permission to publish any of these photographs must be obtained from Bill Wright.
    Gift, 1996.
    2000-32

Historical Photographs Index: A  C  D  F  G  M   N  P  S  T  U  W
Top of Page


Guide to the Collections     Historical Manuscripts Collection   Texas Labor Archives   
Texas Political History Collection     University Archives     Historical Photographs Collection
Unprocessed Collections    Guide Index


Special Collections
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries
Phone: (817) 272-3393 * Fax: (817) 272-3360 * E-mail: Reference Desk

This page last update on Wednesday, June 25, 2003