Historical Manuscripts
Continued . . . S --


<< Historical Manuscripts A-B      Historical Manuscripts C-D >>    Historical Manuscripts E-G >>    Historical Manuscripts H-K >>   
Historical Manuscripts L-M >>    Historical Manuscripts N-R >>   Historical Manuscripts T-Z >>
Historical Manuscripts Index: A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I J  K L  M  N  O  P   R  S  T U  V  W   Y  Z

Guide to the Collections      Historical Manuscripts Collection   Texas Labor Archives   
Texas Political History Collection     University Archives     Historical Photographs Collection
Unprocessed Collections    Guide Index


 
Sabine Pass, Texas
    Collection, 1854-1869; 1 folder (5 items)
    Legal documents and maps. Includes deed from Simon Weiss to Haden H. Edwards and a survey for the Dennis Gohagen grant; a memo regarding the John McGaffey grant; a contract with R. Hotchkiss for a lot and a map of tracts of land located at Sabine Pass, Texas; all are located in Jefferson County, Texas.
    Purchase, n.d.
    GA48
 
Salazar Ilarregi, José, 1823-1892
    Papers, 1866-1867; 2 boxes (.83 linear ft.)
    José Salazar Ilarregi was Imperial Commissioner for Yucatán, México, November1866- July 1867.
    Correspondence, financial documents, and reports, 1866-1867. The papers of José Salazar Ilarregi document his second term as Emperor Maximilian’s Imperial Commissioner for Yucatán. They provide information on the internal administration during the final year of Maximilian’s Empire. Included in the papers are military and official correspondence from Francisco Cantón Rosado and Commander Felipe Pren; military files for veterans of the Mexican War and the Caste War; military reports from battlefields and army divisions; fortification reports; and expenditure reports for education, charities, and public services. Also included are records pertaining to the Yucatecan Scientific Commission; information relating to civil and military laws and regulations issued by the Yucatán Imperial administration; and correspondence from Don Domingo Bureau, the Imperial Commissioner of Veracruz and Tehuantepec.
    Purchase, 1991.
    Finding aid available
    GA209-GA211
 
San Felipe (Tex.) Ayuntamiento
    Land Title Sold to Gail and Paschal P. Borden, March 27, 1835; 1 folder (1 item)
    The Telegraph and Texas Register, an early Texas newspaper, was published on the site of this land grant from October 1835 to March 1836.
    Land title in Spanish, March 27, 1835. The title was signed by Jno. H. Money, president of the Ayuntamiento San Felipe de Austin, and Joseph Baker, secretary.
    This item is also known as: Borden Brothers Land Title.
    Source unknown.
    GA47
 
San Jacinto Prisoners of War
    Collection, 1836-1837; 1 folder (13 items)
    The battle of San Jacinto, fought April 21, 1836, was the concluding military event of the Texas Revolution.
    Letters, orders, petitions, affidavits, and reports. The documents relate to the parole, claims, incarceration, or transfer of Mexican soldiers taken prisoner at the battle of San Jacinto. Included is a list of Mexican officer prisoners who died compiled by Gen. Martin Perfecto de Cos. Most of the items are addressed to William Hardin, Liberty, Texas. The letters are from Sam Houston, James Pinckney Henderson, Thomas J. Rusk, William S. Fisher, James Morgan, and William Kimbro.
    Gift, 1974.
    Inventory available.
    GA37
 
Santerre, François, 1809-1889
    Family Papers, 1777-1956, bulk 1855-1889; 3 boxes (2 linear ft.)
    François Santerre, his wife, Marie Launay, and their children immigrated from France in 1856 to join La Réunion Colony, a socialist experiment founded in 1855 by the Société de Colonisation Européo-Americaine. The colony, located a few miles west of Dallas, Texas, dissolved after two years, but several families, including the Santerres, remained at the site or in the area.
    Correspondence, financial documents, legal documents, photographs, certificates, memorabilia, clippings, periodicals, and books. Most of the items in the collection are in the French language. Included are certified birth certificates of several family members, a copy of the act to incorporate the Société de Colonisation Européo-Americaine, François Santerre’s inscription into the society, and deeds to property in La Réunion. The correspondence is primarily from Augustin Houdin of St. Leonard, France, to François Santerre. Memorabilia includes greeting, advertising, and religious cards, engravings, illustrations, and homemade paper items. François Santerre’s French Army record books describe his physical appearance, equipment, and service. The family’s library of 162 books and periodicals are included.
    Gift, 1976.
    Finding aid available.
    GA7-GA9
 
Schmidt, Walter G., 1914-1990
    Texas Postal History Collection, 1963-1983; 26 boxes (10 linear ft.)
    Correspondence, manuscripts, financial records, registers, maps, postal bulletins, lists, and microfilm. The collection is comprised of research materials and manuscripts created and collected by Walter G. Schmidt, 1963-1983, for his history of Texas post offices and postmasters. The collection includes the following: a comprehensive list of post offices in Texas from Abbie to Zyback along with historical information on each post office; records of appointments of postmasters in Texas, 1846-1929; Republic of Texas Post Office Department ledger books (photocopies); manuscripts and notes for Schmidt’s proposed book, Encyclopedia of Texas Post Offices: Texas Post Offices Under Six Flags; microfilm (site location reports and accompanying maps related to Dallas County, Texas, 1878-1964; and correspondence, receipts, vouchers and accounts ledgers, records and registers of appointments of postmasters of Texas,1846-1971); miscellaneous correspondence, maps, and postal bulletins; and index cards arranged alphabetically by postmaster and post office.
    Gift, 1993.
    Finding aid available.
    AR356
 
Schwartz, Max (Maximilian), 1869-1951
    Family Papers, 1905-1997, bulk 1920-1985; 2 folders (.08 linear ft.)
    Max Schwartz was born in Seitelschlag, Austria. He immigrated to Burton, Texas, in 1884. Schwartz worked and traveled around the West until 1894. He returned to Texas and married Maria (Mary) Grellhesl. They settled on a farm in Hamilton County near Shive in 1896.
    Letters, autobiography, genealogy, photographs, a map, and a certificate. Original and photocopied documents primarily in English with letters in German and Czech. The papers include a 113 page autobiography written by Max Schwartz in 1944, about his life in Austria and the U.S.; a certificate of Texas citizenship, 1905; letters written to Schwartz, 1920; photographs taken in Austria and in Shive, Texas; a map and postcard from Austria; and Schwartz family genealogy, compiled in 1985 and 1997.
    Gift, 1997.
    GA34
Scott, Martin, d. 1847
    Letter, Monterrey, Mexico, to Col. Persifor F. Smith, September 26, 1846; 1 folder (1 item)
    Maj. Martin Scott was in command of the Fifth Infantry under Col. Persifor F. Smith, commander of the Second Brigade, Second Division, Army of Occupation, at the battle of Monterrey during the Mexican War. Martin was breveted to lieutenant colonel, September 23, 1846, for gallant and meritorious conduct in the several conflicts at Monterrey. He was killed September 8, 1847, at the battle of Molino del Rey, Mexico.
    Signed manuscript letter, 4p. Scott reports the movements and services of the Fifth Infantry before and during the battle of Monterrey, September 21-23, 1846, especially the assault on the Bishop's Palace. Scott gives credit to his various officers and their regiments for gallant service. He also describes the actions of other commanders, particularly the Seventh Infantry; Capt. Blanchard's company of Louisiana Volunteers; Capt. C. F. Smith's Second Artillery; and the Texan Dismounted Cavalry under Col. Jack (John Coffee) Hays.
    Gift, 1994.
    GA15
 
Seven Seas, Arlington, Texas
    Collection, 1968-1977; 14 folders (.33 linear ft.)
    Seven Seas, a sea life park built and owned by the city of Arlington, opened on March 18, 1972. It was located near Six Flags Over Texas and adjacent to Arlington Stadium, a previous ball park of the Texas Rangers. Advertised as an "educational, enchanting, amusement park" on thirty-five acres, the park was divided into several distinct areas representing various salt water bodies. The city council voted to close the park in 1976 (?) because it did not generate enough revenue to both pay its operating expenses and pay off the bonded indebtedness.
    Correspondence, photographs, yearbook, directory, newspaper articles, printed material, and ephemera, which chronicle the creation and demise of Seven Seas in Arlington, Texas. The newspaper clippings, 1971-1977, document the park’s establishment and discuss the financial problems that led to its closing. Included is a Seven Seas/Arlington Stadium yearbook, 1972; a directory of Arlington city officials, 1968; and the Seven Seas in-house newsletter, Bona Venture, 1971-1973. Photographs depict scenes of animal training sessions at Japanese Village in Buena Park, California; Seven Seas park scenes; and Mayor Tom Vandergriff, Miss Arlington, and other city officials at the park’s opening.
    Fielder Museum Transfer, 1995.
    GA228
 
Sewell, Ernestine
    François Santerre Family Collection, ca. 1858-1974; 1 folder (.08 linear ft.)
    Ernestine Sewell is a retired professor of English from the University of Texas at Arlington.
Research materials, newspaper clippings, a speech, photographs, and articles by Sewell and others related to La Réunion Colony, founded in Dallas County, Texas, in 1855, and colony residents, particularly the François Santerre Family. The collection includes the article, "La Réunion," from The Folklore of Texan Cultures, edited by Frances Edward Abernethy, 1974; an abstract, "The Santerre Family and the Aftermath of the French Colony, La Réunion," from a speech by Sewell presented to the Dallas County Pioneer Association in 1990; additional research materials on La Réunion Colony, including newspaper clippings, birth and death statistics, a colony plan and survey; copies of photographs from Hank Santerre; as well as a copy of "La Réunion, A French Colony in Texas," by W. J. Hammond.
    All the materials are photocopy.
    Gift, 1990.
    GA9
 
Sexton Family
    Genealogy Collection, 1992; 1 box (.4 linear ft.)
    The Sexton Family were early settlers to northeastern Tarrant County, Texas.
Genealogy information regarding the Copeland, Lewis, Sexton, and Winn families. The materials document the Sexton family’s migration to Texas. The collection includes photocopies of the following titles: "The Sextons," compiled and edited by Donald Buron Benton; "Our Winn Family" and "Our Lewis Family," compiled by Marjorie Young; and "Copeland, Our Branch of the Tree," compiled by Michael Glenn Copeland.
    Gift, 1992.
    92-61
 
Shady Grove C. M. E. Church, Irving, Texas
    Records, 1926-1997; 1 box (1 linear ft.)
    The Shady Grove C. M. E. (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church was founded in 1884 by an African American group in the Bear Creek community, now a part of Irving, Texas. It was comprised of members of the King, Trigg, Green, Morton, Crawford, and Jackson families on land donated by the Green family.
    Sunday School record books, minute books, certificate book, programs, souvenir book, Bible, and hymnals. The Sunday School record books contain descriptions of the weekly services and attendance, 1926-1975. Programs include the 101st and 113th anniversary and dedication service programs, 1985 and 1997.
    Permanent loan, 1997.
    97-32
 
Shakespeare Club, Arlington, Texas
    Records, 1948-1984; 1 box (.5 linear ft.)
    The Shakespeare Club, the oldest woman’s club in Arlington, was organized in 1908 to study the poet’s works. In addition to the study of Shakespeare, the club was organized "to strengthen the outlook of women, to encourage a friendliness of members, and to cooperate in community betterment." In 1911, the club assisted in organizing the Arlington Forum, the first Parent Teachers Organization, the Arlington Art Association, the Arlington Library, and the first civic league. It was also active in community betterment by sponsoring yard beautification contests and conducting the first pure food investigation in Arlington. Over the years the club has given funds to various causes, such as CARE, Meals for Millions, and scholarships to University of Texas at Arlington students.
    Correspondence, minutes, financial documents, membership records, program books, a club history, and a constitution and by-laws collected by Margaret Fry, treasurer of the Shakespeare Club. The materials reflect the history and activities of the club, 1948-1984, and include a brief club history, 1908-1975.
    Gift, 1988.
    Finding aid available.
    AR307
 
Shannon, James Thomas, ca. 1827-1862
    Sketchbook, 1846-1848; 1 item (37 p.)
    James Thomas Shannon was with Company A, First Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, during service in the Mexican War.  He participated in the engagements at Cerro Gordo, Perote, and Puebla under the command of Colonel Francis M. Wynkoop.  After the war, Shannon was a house painter and sawyer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  He was a farmer in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, just prior to the Civil War.  He enlisted at Pittsburgh, April 1861, and was elected as captain of Iron City Guards, Company C, 9th Pennsylvania Reserves (38th Pennsylvania Infantry) on June 26, 1861.  Shannon was mortally wounded at the battle of Bull Run and died September 12, 1862.
    The sketchbook is composed of scenes drawn by Shannon of Mexico and the Mexican War, including the Castle at Perote, burial place of Capt. Samuel H. Walker, view from Jalapa, and the quarters of the U.S. Army after the battle of Cerro Gordo, among others.
    Purchase, 1988.
    Restrictions: Due to fragile condition, photocopies are not allowed.
    GO36
 
Sharp, Ce Estus Adam, 1868-1954
    Papers, ca. 1871-1960; 1 box (1 linear ft.)
    Ce Estus Adam Sharp was a businessman in Boyce and Waxahachie, Ellis County, Texas.
    Correspondence, financial records, minutes, certificates, photographs, genealogical charts, and artifacts. The papers of Ce Estus Adam Sharp contain business, personal, and family papers. The materials document Sharp’s real estate and bank transactions and include records concerning the Boyce State Bank and the Boyce Co-Operative Gin. Personal correspondence describes an attack of polio suffered by two of Sharp’s children, 1915-1916, and a ledger documents the distribution of the estate of Mrs. H. L. Williamson. Included are certificates, genealogical charts, and photographs of Sharp family members and a leather apron of the Alpine Lodge, A. F. & A.M., 1902.
    Gift, 1993, 1999.
              Finding Aid available
    AR428, OS300, GO-40/3
 
Sherwood, Lorenzo, 1810-1889
    Papers, 1847-1856; 2 folders, l box (3 items)
    Lorenzo Sherwood was a legislator, lawyer, abolitionist, and political nonconformist. He moved to Galveston, Texas, from New York City in 1846, with his wife and son where he established a legal practice and was elected a member of the Texas Legislature. Sherwood originated the state plan for railroad development in the 1850s. He was driven from the legislature in 1856 by opponents of his so called "anti-southern" views.
    Letter, recall petition, and photocopy of petition. The twenty-six page letter by Sherwood, April 18, 1847, provides a vivid description of all aspects of life on Galveston Island and in Texas. He compares the island with areas of New York and the East Coast. The recall petition, ca. 1856, was filed against Sherwood to remove him from the Texas Legislature for his position on slavery and purported response to the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. Galveston citizens who signed the petition were M. Menard, F. Flake, Henry Potter, William B. W. O’Brian, Augustus Buchner, George Ball, James Nagle, and J. H. Stuart, among others.
    Restrictions: Use photocopy of petition.
    Permanent Loan, 1990.
    GA33
 
Silliman, Benjamin, 1779-1864
    Collection of Journals by John Maley and Anthony Glass, 1810-1842, bulk 1810-1822; 2 folders (3 items)
    Transcriptions, notes, and journals. Photocopy of research notes by Silliman and his transcription of the Anthony Glass journal which describes a voyage into Louisiana, 1808-1809.
A photocopy of two journals by John Maley of his trip up the Red River, 1810-1813, is included.
The collection is also known as: John Maley Journals.
    The originals are part of the Silliman Family Papers (MS. no. 450) at Yale University, Sterling Memorial Library, Manuscripts and Archives, New Haven, Connecticut.
    Provenance unknown.
    GA25
 
Sloan, Dorothy
    Mission San Sabá Painting Documentation Papers, 1981-1989; 1 box (.4 linear ft.)
    Dorothy Sloan is an antiquarian book and manuscript dealer in Austin, Texas. The painting, known as "The Destruction of the Mission San Sabá," has been attributed to José de Paez. It depicts the massacre of the people at the mission in the 18th century and was commissioned by the family of one of the priests as a memorial to him. It is the only known extant Mexican Colonial painting of an event in Texas.
    Correspondence, legal documents, and phone messages. These are copies of documents collected and produced by Dorothy Sloan which are related to her efforts to sell the San Saba painting. The correspondence traces her effort to have the Mexican government certify that the painting was not covered by Mexican cultural patrimony laws and, therefore, legally eligible to be exported. Documents include copies of the bill of sale of the painting from Eduardo Uhart to Peter Wray, for whom Sloan was an agent, conservators’ reports, appraisals of the painting, and documents relating to the seizure of the painting by U.S. Customs agents.
    Gift, 1994.
    96-7
 
Slotkin, Stanley S.
    Mark A. and Stanley S. Slotkin Book Leaves Collection, 1207-1797; 1 folder (24 leaves, 43 cm. x 28 cm. or smaller)
    The Slotkins are Los Angeles businessmen.
    Book leaves. Leaves from rare biblical and antiquarian books in the libraries of Mark and Stanley Slotkin. They are from works in several different languages and include the Koran, the Bible, commentaries, church music, histories, and medical texts. Each item is mounted on a sheet with a reproduction of the title page and a short description of the work that it came from.
    Gift, 1969.
    GO2
 
Smith, Bennett Lawson, 1899-1989
    "A Carriage Trip to Weatherford in 1910," April 18, 1980; 1 folder (23 p.)
     Bennett Smith, a native of the Bethesda community of Parker County, Texas, was a Fort Worth lawyer and author and publisher of several historical books. His works include Bethesda, Marriage by Bond in Colonial Texas, and Community Public Service Company, Its History, People, and Places. He co-authored and published Our Simmons Forefathers and Their Descendants and has also written several travelogues, magazine articles, and the historical narratives to support Texas historical markers at Bethesda and Fondren cemetaries. He was a member of the       Tarrant County Historical Commission and served as chairman from 1975 to 1980.
Typescript and clipping. Bennett Smith was the featured speaker for the 1980 Weatherford Spring Festival banquet at which he presented "A Carriage Trip to Weatherford in 1910." The presentation recalls a family shopping trip from Bethesda to Weatherford, Texas, during his childhood. It explores the geography and history of northwestern Parker County and Weatherford along the way. Names and anecdotes of early county settlers, historic trails, military outposts, origin of the names of geographical features, the weather, and homes, streets, people, and businesses in Weatherford are described. The presentation is well footnoted and a clipping about Smith speaking at the banquet is included.
     Gift, 2000.
     GA22
 
Smith, Dott E.
    Papers, 1929-1946, bulk 1944-1946; 7 boxes (2.92 linear ft.)
    Dott E. Smith was a lieutenant colonel, U.S. Army, Commanding Officer, Army Service Forces, Ninth Service Command, Prisoner of War Camp, Rupert, Idaho. The Ninth Service Command included branch camps in Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. The camps held German, Russian, Italian, and Japanese prisoners of World War II. Russian captives were repatriated to the Soviet Union through the camps after the war.
    Correspondence; memos; statistics; minutes; special orders; transcripts of telephone conversations, conferences, and prisoner interviews; officer personnel, camp, and prisoner lists; security, intelligence, inspection, and activity reports; manuals, handbooks, camp newspaper typescripts; and notes. Includes a copy of the "Geneva Convention," a 1945 report on U.S. prisoner of war camps, and farm-labor reference materials. The focus of the collection is on branch camps in Idaho, Montana, and Oregon.
    Gift, 1970, 1976.
    Finding aid available.
    AR129
Snyder, Frank V.
    A Synthetic Log and Plot of Columbus’s Cruise through the Bahamas, October 11-27, 1492, [1991?]; 1 volume (52p., 28 cm.)
    Typescript, illustrated. This paper presents a navigator’s analysis of Christopher Columbus’s voyage through the Bahaman Islands, October 14-27, 1492. A synthetic log and plot were prepared from Columbus’s journal combined with the author’s knowledge of the geography and weather of the Bahamas and of seamanship.
    Gift, 1991.
    E112.S69 1990, scc
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1960-1991; 15 boxes (7.5 linear ft.)
The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and lay people with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, constitution and articles of incorporation, annual reports, financial records, newsletters, programs, annual and council meeting records, bibliographies, book reviews, and manuscripts. The Society for the History of Discoveries records were compiled and created by the officers and secretaries of the society and were maintained by secretary-treasurers, Barbara McCorkle and Eric W. Wolf. Correspondence is between officers and members regarding membership, dues, individuals, meetings, paper proposals, abstracts of papers presented at meetings, business and council meetings, and information related to the publication of the society’s journal, Terrae Incognitae.
The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Deposit, 1992.
    Finding aid available.
    AR346
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1962-1995, bulk 1991-1994; 4 boxes (1.8 linear ft.)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members are comprised of historians, geographers, and laypeople with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall where papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, 1984-1994; membership brochures, forms and lists, 1973-1994; election ballots, 1992-1995; annual meetings programs, registrant lists, papers, and abstracts, 1962-1995; tax records, 1984-1994; and ledgers, 1962-1992. The records of the society were combined from two sources: Eric Wolf, Secretary-Treasurer, 1991-1995, and Dennis Reinhartz, vice-president and president, 1993-1995. The bulk of the material is the correspondence and membership information received from Wolf and Reinhartz for the years 1991 to 1994. Correspondence topics include society business, membership concerns, the Vigneras Papers, and the society’s essay contest. Of particular significance are photocopies of the 1961 files of Wilcomb E. Washburn, president of the organization from 1963 to 1964, which document the first year of the organization’s history.
    The president’s files also include correspondence concerning Society of the History of Discoveries by-laws, proposals concerning joint sessions between the society and other organizations, proposed articles of association, a proposal for the University of Texas at Arlington to sponsor the society’s journal, papers submitted for the essay contest, and papers by Douglas Peck and Keith Pickering.
    The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Deposit, 1995, 1996.
    Finding aid available.
    AR398
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1973-1997; 1 box (0.33 linear ft.)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and laypeople with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, meeting programs, newsletters, annual reports, membership lists, typescripts, lists of papers and panels presented, 1962-1994, meeting files, and printed materials. These are the papers of Louis De Vorsey, Professor Emeritus of Geography, University of Georgia, which relate to his activities in the society as an officer, member, and presenter. He was vice president and president, 1981-1983.
    The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Deposit, 1997.
    97-46
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, August 1998; 1 box (3 items)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and laypeople with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries, geographic exploration, and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
Faxes with memos and drawings. The materials describe the work done by Hinckle & Son, San Francisco, to create a logotype, stationery system, and tie design for the society. Memos include costs and sketches in black and white and color. The materials were faxed to Dennis Reinhartz, a member of the society.
    Deposit, 1998.
    98-42
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1995-2000; 1 folder (1 inch)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and lay people with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, programs, membership lists, conference papers, and treasurer’s reports. These records of the Society for the History of Discoveries are from the files of past president, Dennis Reinhartz. The records include programs and program announcements, correspondence regarding the design of a tie with a map illustration later sold by the society, conference registration materials, and a copy of some conference papers. Many of the records in this accession overlap the dates of materials previously donated that have been processed. Consult both processed and unprocessed collections of the Society for the History of Discoveries.
    The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Gift, 2000.
    2000-51
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1961-1999, bulk 1991-1997; 2 boxes (2 linear ft.)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and lay people with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, financial documents, and printed material. These are the records of secretary-treasurers of the society, Eric Wolf and Russell Magnaghi, 1991-1999. They include scattered records from the early 1960s through the 1980s. The bulk of the materials include correspondence, membership lists and records, newsletters, annual reports, ballots, constitutions and bylaws, brochures, Terrae Incognitae files, treasurer’s reports, and conference files. A notebook contains programs, reports, newsletters, and other early examples of materials generated by the society, 1961-1971.
    The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Gift, 2000.
    2000-52
 
Society for the History of Discoveries
    Records, 1991-2001; 1 box (1 linear ft.)
    The Society for the History of Discoveries was organized in 1960 for the purpose of stimulating interest in teaching, research, and publishing in the history of geographical exploration. Members include historians, geographers, and laypeople with an interest in history, geography, and exploration. The society publishes Terrae Incognitae, an annual collection of research papers and book reviews on the topics of geographic discoveries; geographic exploration; and the techniques, impact, and literature of discoveries. Annual meetings are held in the fall when papers by members are presented on subjects related to their areas of interest and expertise.
    Correspondence, newsletters, ballots, reports, minutes, membership forms and lists, financial records, and a book. These are the records of the society from secretary-treasurer, Russell Magnaghi. The records include minutes of council meetings, member information, and documents related to elections and planning annual meetings. The book is a compilation of technical essays by James E. Kelley, Jr., On Old Nautical Charts and Sailing Directions, published in 1999. Financial documents, 1991-1997, are from the previous secretary, Eric Wolf.
    The University of Texas at Arlington, Special Collections Division is the official depository for the society’s records.
    Deposit, 2001.
    2001-25
 
Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter
    Records, 1950-1996, bulk 1982-1995; 7 boxes (3.5 linear ft.)
    The Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter, chartered in 1946, is a non-profit professional organization for journalists. The purpose of the organization is to work for a free and responsible media; to unite professionals engaged in all fields of communications; to recognize distinguished achievements of those in these fields; to maintain high professional standards; and to encourage members to greater individual and professional effort and performance. The chapter's scholarship funds, designed for students interested in journalism as a career, are derived from the Texas Gridiron Club, a non-profit educational organization owned by the membership. Each year the chapter publishes and sells a newspaper spoof, Yellow Jaundice, during the Gridiron dinner and show. Both the Gridiron show and the Yellow Jaundice feature political satire on the local and national levels. Ticket sales for the Gridiron dinner and show, and advertising revenues and sales of the newspaper generate the chapter's funds.
    Correspondence, minutes, financial records, by-laws and constitution, membership records, annual reports, newsletters, newspapers, plaques, slides, photographs, negatives, scripts, audio tapes, and video tapes of the Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter, and the Texas Gridiron Club. The video and audio tapes are recordings of the Gridiron Club dinners and shows from 1955-1957, 1968, and 1979-1996. The annual Gridiron-produced newspaper, Yellow Jaundice, for 1950-1995 is included. A large portion of the collection concerns fundraising projects. Also included is a charter and minutes of the Press Club of Fort Worth, 1969-1979. The records reflect the current thinking of working journalists and are useful for the study of Texas political history, 1950-1996.
    Gift, 1996.
    Finding aid available.
    AR392
 
Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter
    Records, 1991-1997; 1 box (1 linear ft.)
    The Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter, is a non-profit professional organization for journalists. The Fort Worth Chapter was founded in 1945. The purpose of the organization is to work for a free and responsible media; to unite professionals engaged in all fields of communications; to recognize distinguished achievements of those in these fields; to maintain high professional standards; and to encourage members to greater individual and professional effort and performance. The chapter's scholarship funds are derived from the Texas Gridiron Club, a non-profit educational organization owned by the membership. Each year the chapter publishes and sells a newspaper spoof, Yellow Jaundice, during the Gridiron Show. Advertising revenues and sales of the paper generate the chapter's funds. In 1996 the organization celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Gridiron dinner and show.
    Correspondence, minutes, financial documents, agendas, rosters, newspaper clippings, brochures, programs, newsletters, scripts, photos, and videos. These are the records of the activities of the Society of Professional Journalists, Fort Worth Chapter, including records of the Texas Gridiron Club. Video tapes of the Gridiron Club’s 1995 dinner and show as well as programs and scripts for the show are included.
    Gift, 1997.
    97-35
Somervill’s [sic. Somervell] Expedition against the Southwest, 1842-1843
    Typescript by Unknown Author; 1 folder (11 leaves, 84 p.)
    The Somervell expedition was a punitive expedition against Mexico in retaliation for three predatory raids made by Mexican armies upon Texas in 1842. On October 3, 1842, President Sam Houston ordered Alexander Somervell to organize the militia and volunteers and invade Mexico if the strength, equipment, and discipline of the army indicated a reasonable hope of success. The expedition with approximately 700 men left San Antonio on November 25. It captured Laredo on December 8. Joseph L. Bennett and 185 men returned home on December 10. Somervell with a little over 500 men forced the capitulation of Guerrero. On December 19, Somervell recognized the failure of his expedition and ordered his men to disband and return home by way of Gonzales. Some of the Texans obeyed the order; some 308 men commanded by William S. Fisher continued to Mexico on the Mier expedition.
    Typescript with letters, clippings, and a biographical sketch of Samuel Bogart. This is a carbon copy of a typescript transcription of the journal of an unknown soldier who traveled with the Somervell expediton and continued on with William Fisher to Mexico. The journal begins September 28, 1842 and continues through January 14, 1843. It appears to be a detailed account of the life of a Texas soldier from late 1842 to early 1843. Copies of letters between Louis Lenz, resident of Lake Charles, Louisiana, and owner of the typescript, September 19-October 6, 1947, and Houston Wade of Schulenburg, Texas, discuss possible authors of the journal and the desire to have it published. A transcription of a newspaper clipping reveals the death of Houston Wade, a well-known Texas historian, in October 1947. A transcription of a newspaper clipping from the National Intelligencer, November 16, 1842, is about the Dawson Massacre and includes the names of those who were killed or taken prisoner in a skirmish with the Mexicans near Salado, Texas, on September 18, 1842.
    Transfer, 2000.
    GA37
 
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
    Collection, ca. 1918; 1 folder (6 items)
    Southern Methodist University opened on September 22, 1915, in Dallas, Texas. It was established by the Texas Educational Commission, composed of representatives of the five annual conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Texas.
    Letter, financial document, photograph and engravings, certificate, and calling card. The items in this collection were used by Frank Reedy, bursar of Southern Methodist University (SMU), ca. 1918, in an effort to raise funds for the university. Includes a printed request for funds, a bank draft payable to SMU with a notation on the verso of the draft; printed photograph of Robert S. Hyer, SMU president; engraved images of four campus buildings; personal calling card of Frank Reedy; and a certificate for a subscription to the Building Equipment and Endowment Fund for Southern Methodist University.
    Gift, 1990.
    GA84, GO33
 
Spearman, Robert Roy, 1894-1995
    Letters to James and Dorothy Richards, 1982-1995 (bulk 1986-1995); 1 box (.33 linear ft.)
    Robert Spearman was a long-time employee of Consolidated Express Companies in Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. He worked as a chief clerk, advanced to agent, and retired as a supervisor of vehicles and terminals. He worked for Wells Fargo & Co. from 1915-1918, served in World War I, and worked from 1919-1965 for the Railway Express Agency and others.
    Letters, clippings, and memorial poem. In approximately ninety-five letters to James and Dorothy Richards, he discusses family history, past and current activities, and politics commenting particularly on national and state politicians. The memorial poem was written in memory of Robert Roy Spearman by Polly Stretcher.
Photocopies of originals held by James and Dorothy Richards.
    Gift, 1995.
    95-64
 
Spence, Alex W.
    Papers, 1911-1987, bulk 1911-1919; 1 box (.4 linear ft.)
    Alex Spence was a Dallas, Texas, resident who served in World War I. He began officer training as a second lieutenant at Camp Leon Springs, Texas, in August 1917, and was transferred to Camp Bowie, Texas, in October. Spence served with U.S. Army Infantry, Thirty-sixth Division, of the American Expeditionary Force primarily in France and attained the rank of captain.
    Correspondence, speech, military orders, rosters, lists, biographical sketches, a history of Thirty-sixth Division operations in France, photographs, and journals. These are the personal and military papers of Alex W. Spence. Included is a speech he delivered in a debate at Dallas High School in 1911, concerning the southerner’s treatment of the "Negro problem"; letters to his wife during service; a message from King George V at Windsor Castle, welcoming the American Expeditionary force, 1918; memos, special orders, field orders, and secret orders from Thirty-sixth Division Headquarters; biographical sketches of officers; list of Croix de Guerre and Medal Militaire recipients; lists of officers and infantrymen killed; and lists of appointments, 1918-1919. Photographs of men, officers, the division post, scenes of destruction, a German prisoner, Maj. Gen. William R. Smith, and Gen. John J. Pershing were produced by the U.S. Army Signal Corps, 1917-1918. Three journals called "Boosts and Knocks" contain memos and commentary from soldiers and division commanders concerning the Embarkation Camp at St. Nazaire, France, 1919. There is also a bound copy of essays/letters from Dr. Henry Williams of Dallas, Texas, compiled during World War II, 1943, for the Wives of Officers of the Fifty-sixth Evacuation Hospital.
    Preservation note: Some fragile items, handle with care.
    Gift, 1993.
    98-1
 
Stewart Family
    Papers, 1836-1925; 7 folders (46 items)
    The Stewart brothers, Willis, Isaac, and James, were residents of Louisville, Kentucky, who speculated in Texas land in the early nineteenth century. Willis Stewart was a trustee and influential member of the Texas Emigration and Land Company, which administered Peters Colony.
    Letters, maps, a report, and legal documents. The legal documents include land deeds, agreements, contracts, notes, affidavits, wills, and probate documents. The papers relate primarily to the Stewart family's land dealings in Texas and Kentucky. Various documents relate to land deals, claims, and shares purchased by the Stewart brothers in and around Nacogdoches, Texas, from Carter Beeman, Frost Thorn, and George Hancock; and to land and shares held in the Texas Emigration and Land Company. Also included is a list of real estate owned by Willis Stewart in Kentucky. Of special interest is a committee report charged with examining the books of the Texas Emigration and Land Company from 1844 to 1854, which states the whole cost of the enterprise along with credits to Henry O. Hedgcoxe and payments to Willis Stewart for company business. The collection includes the papers of Willis, Isaac, James and Pendleton Stewart, and Willis Stewart's children, Alice Stewart Lobban and Malcolm Graeme Stewart and also Fannie and Leon Moore.
    Preservation note: fragile items, handle with care.
    Purchase, 1993.
    GA10; GO1/5
 
Stoltz, Jack, 1916-
    Papers, 1848-1991, bulk 1969-1991; 6 boxes (2 linear ft.)
    Jack Stoltz, a retired executive with Boy Scouts of America, is a historian and writer in Terrell, Texas, Kaufman County. Stoltz moved to Terrell in 1969, and in 1973, published Terrell, Texas, 1873-1973: From Open Country to Modern City. He wrote and published a local history column in the Terrell Tribune, "Gems from the Past," 1982-1990. Stoltz also published "Kaufman County in the Civil War" and "Porter Demonstration Farm" in the East Texas Historical Journal.
    Manuscripts, articles, essays, transcriptions of early documents, research materials, and printed materials. The materials relate to Jack Stoltz’s research on Kaufman County, Terrell, Texas, and other communities in and near presentday Kaufman County. Included are his published manuscripts and two unpublished book length manuscripts, "Some Familiar and Forgotten Places of Kaufman County, Texas," and "Kaufman County, Texas: One Hundred and Fifty Years on the East Fork Prairie." Accompanying the major manuscripts is a wealth of census and agricultural data; first person accounts of pioneers’ experiences; transcribed texts from microfilmed newspaper articles, letters, and other sources; research correspondence; maps; commemorative publications and other ephemera; and notes related to Terrell, Texas, and Kaufman County. Notes concerning Kaufman County are recorded back to 1832. Actual photocopied documents, articles, clippings, speeches, and other materials date from 1848.
    Gift, 1992.
    Finding aid available.
    AR344
 
Stripling, Chester R., 1876-1942
    Papers, ca. 1890s-1940; 3 folders (23 items)
    Chester R. Stripling established Stripling Farm Dairy in North Fort Worth, Texas, in 1902.
Financial documents, 1930-1940, and photographs, 1890s-1923. The photographs include a portrait of Stripling; the Williamson County courthouse,1878; scenes of the dairy including buildings, animals, and people; and a panoramic photograph of Baylor College (later named Mary Hardin Baylor College), Belton, Texas, January 1923.
    Gift, 1994.
    GA15, OS348
 
Styles-Vincent-Day
    Family Papers, 1819-1985, bulk 1852-1930; 5 boxes (3 linear ft.)
    Carey Wentworth Styles was a prominent attorney, politician, and journalist in Georgia and Texas from 1850 to 1897. He was a member of the Georgia Senate and a delegate to the secession convention for Georgia. He served in the Mexican War and was a colonel in the Civil War. Styles established and managed numerous newspapers in Georgia and Texas, including the Atlanta Constitution. His daughter, Louella Styles Vincent, was a noted poet, composer, journalist, and author in Texas from 1882 to 1924. Louella Styles Vincent was married to James Upshur Vincent, Sr., a prominent attorney, teacher, and journalist in Texas from 1882 to 1911. He established and managed several newspapers in Texas. James Upshur Vincent, Jr., was a prominent journalist in Texas from 1905 to 1961. He was financial editor and outdoor editor for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and a champion of wildlife preservation. He was also active in government and politics. He was married to Ella Virginia Day of Arlington, Texas. Her parents, Frank Preston Day and Ida Wise Day, were members of the first families to settle in Johnson Station and Robertson County, Texas, in the 1840s.
    Personal and business correspondence, cards, telegrams, Confederate currency, almanacs, Mexican War pension papers, books, pamphlets, newspapers, and family history of the Styles family. Baptism papers, compositions, business papers, teaching certificates, broadsides, photographs, newspaper clippings, magazines, booklets, journals, sheet music, and church publications of the Vincent family. Personal and business correspondence, post cards, financial documents, abstracts, photographs, newspapers and clippings, programs, flyers, family history, diary, teaching certificates, class record books, booklets, church publications, First State Bank of Arlington closing documents, and a Day family Bible. Artifacts such as medals, insignia, pins, and ribbons are included.
    Restrictions: Permission to copy photographs must be requested from the Arlington Historical Society.
    Fielder Museum transfer, 1992.
    Finding aid available.
    GA231-GA233, OSB191, OSB223, GO1/6
 
Sublett, Collier W.
    Papers, 1898-1899; 1 folder (.04 linear ft.)
    Collier W. Sublett was a physician in Arlington, Texas, in the late nineteenth century.
Patient record book and notebook. Dr. Sublett’s "Medical News Visiting List" contains records of patients seen and fees paid, January 1898-October 1899. Also recorded were babies delivered. Of special interest is the fact that the notation "white" or "black" appears after some of the entries. A holographic notebook contains class notes for "Science, Parasitology, and Pathology."
    Arlington Historical Society transfer, 1998.
    GA235
 
Surratt, John E. and Marshall E.
    Papers, 1917-1998, bulk 1923-1953; 8 folders (.25 linear ft.)
                John E. Surratt was the executive secretary and guiding force behind the Kessler Plan Association established in Dallas, Texas, in 1924. The Kessler Plan was designed by George Kessler, a pioneer city planner and landscape architect. In 1909, the Chamber of Commerce established the City Plan and Improvement League and hired Kessler to draft a design for a long-range plan of civic improvement. The Kessler Plan Association, "called the most democratic organization in Dallas during the 1920s," solicited input from various Dallas neighborhoods to solve the city’s problems. Uncontrollable flooding of the Trinity River, dangerous railroad crossings, and narrow crooked downtown streets were of major concern. Surratt was also heavily involved in the fight to stop city subsidies for the Trinity River levee and reclamation project during the depression, a controversial issue that split the city’s civic leadership. Marshall E. Surratt, John’s son, is a retired Fort Worth Savings and Loan Association officer and a former West Texas banker.
    Correspondence, memos, legal documents, postcards, photographs, newspaper clippings, notes, and a map. These are the papers of John E. Surratt and Marshall E. Surratt. John Surratt’s papers include correspondence with Fred F. Florence, president of the Republic National Bank of Dallas, concerning the Kessler Plan Association, 1925-1953. Additional correspondence with officials of the City and County of Dallas Levee Improvement District concerns drainage problems and flooding in Dallas neighborhoods, the future development of Dallas, and the cleanup and improvement of Pacific Avenue, a major retail location, 1923-1933. Marshall Surratt’s correpondence concerns Karl Hoblitzelle, his Interstate Theaters, biographical information, and his support of the Kessler Plan Association. His file on Hoblitzelle includes copies of early letters and clippings dating from 1931. Later correspondence is with Jane Elder of the SMU History Department who was compiling a biography of Hoblitzelle.
    Note: These papers are photocopies of the originals owned by Marshall E. Surratt.
    Gift, 1999.
    GA161

<< Historical Manuscripts A-B      << Historical Manuscripts C-D    << Historical Manuscripts E-G    << Historical Manuscripts H-K
<< Historical Manuscripts L-M     << Historical Manuscripts N-R     Historical Manuscripts T-Z >>
Manuscripts Index: A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I J  K L  M  N  O  P   R  S  T U  V  W   Y  Z
Top of Page 


Guide to the Collections     Historical Manuscripts Collection   Texas Labor Archives   
Texas Political History Collection     University Archives     Historical Photographs Collection
Unprocessed Collections    Guide Index


Special Collections
The University of Texas at Arlington Libraries
Phone: (817) 272-3393 * Fax: (817) 272-3360 * E-mail: Reference Desk

This page last update on Wednesday, June 25, 2003